“A better understanding of how a child’s play represents their emotional development and what progress will look like for that child.” – Class Participant
This class is open to mental health professionals only.
Join us as we go back in time and revisit the early stages of human development and how they impact the play therapy process. During this six-hour workshop you will learn to recognize each stage within your child client and yourself, so that you can begin to assess a child’s emotional age versus their chronological age. Knowing this information is a crucial part of understanding what type of intervention to make and how to conceptualize what is happening for the child. Participants will also gain a better understanding on how to track a child’s progress and how to identify empowerment in the play therapy process, so that they can feel more confident communicating this information to the child’s parents and teachers. Case studies, videos and experiential exercises will be used to integrate this information into the play therapy process. Play Therapy Institute of Colorado – Home of Synergetic Play Therapy Founder Lisa Dion, LPC, RPT-S, will be teaching this course.
Growing Up in Play Therapy objectives:
- Understand the various types of play a child explores as they develop.
- Understand the different developmental stages that a child goes through and how these show up in the playroom.
- Learn how to use Synergetic Play Therapy’s “The Set-Up/The Offering” to access a child’s emotional age.
- Understand the importance of working with a child at their emotional age versus their chronological age in play therapy.
- Understand how to use “Starting Points” as a way to track a child’s empowerment in play therapy.
- Understand the role of the therapist from a Synergetic Play Therapy perspective and how this role supports a child growing up in play therapy.
Please scroll down for class details.